8.21.2009

Favorite Shots (I): Sunrise Over Lake Otsego


I literally rolled out of bed to make this image. After attending a workshop in the Adirondacks last fall I drove to Cooperstown, NY to make my first visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame. None of the hotels in the area seemed to be online, so I drove toward town and found a gem using my GPS: right on the shoreline of Lake Otsego.

I asked for a room facing east so the sun would wake me up...and did it ever! The first thing I saw that morning was the sun beginning to shine through mist over the lake. I rolled out of bed, grabbed my car keys, and dashed to the trunk to get a camera body and telephoto lens, then ran about 50 yards down a steep hill in shorts and bare feet to make this image from the shoreline.

As a side note: This shot wouldn't have been possible if I had taken my camera bag into the warm hotel room the night before. The cool morning air would have caused condensation to form on the lenses, and I'd have had to wait for it to clear...which would have been too late.





No comments:

Post a Comment